Saturday, August 6, 2011

Stamp Collection

For a summer craft, we made stamp collections.  This was something I did with my Cub Scout group, since one of the Bear electives is to start a stamp collection and display it. 

My inspiration was Ms. Martha Stewart's collecting idea.  Which by the way, she just turned 70 this week!?

Supplies: cardstock cut in half lengthwise, glue and stamps.  Getting the stamps was actually very easy.  I just searched ebay for a "stamps lot" and it only cost me about $5 for 200 stamps from all over the world!


We accordian folded the paper and then glued the two pieces together to make one long "book".
 The fun part was deciding what stamps they wanted from each country and sometimes figuring out where a country was and some interesting facts:  "Where exactly is New Caldonia?  Did you know Hungarians are also called Magyars?"

 
 Avery self selected her own stamps- I wish you could see them up close.  She wanted a pink one, a purple one, a girl and another pink one.  

Blake's well "traveled" passport.  He was adding to his original scout collection.

2 comments:

K.A.M. said...

Great idea!

It looks like the stamp experience was a little painful for Avery (in this picture) :)

Tasha said...

That is really cool! I want to do this with my boys. What a great idea to get them all from ebay.