Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet


I just finished reading this and wanted to share it with you.  This was my summer read this year and I loved it!  I was a little nervous to pick it up because it wasn't recommended to me and I had just finished reading a book I didn't love.  I just wanted a good read!

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is by Jamie Ford and is set in Seattle during the 1940's and 1980's- it's flash back/flash forward style.  It's about a Chinese boy living during the time in WWII when Japanese were considered a threat to America and Japanese-Americans were being sent to camps for "safety".  This book follows him through young love, family issues and more.

 
The hotel referred to in the title is the Panama Hotel, which is a real place in Seattle and is still there.  It's a National Landmark and has re-opened its Tea House. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Tasha said...

I will have to look this one up. I am always looking for something good to read.

Whitney and Blake said...

That looks great! I love trying out new books!