Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer Casserole



This is one of my favorite summer casseroles, it's made for a summer garden.  Fresh tomatoes, zucchini, green onions...yum!  The sour cream sauce melts down into the rice and the jack cheese makes a nice crust.  It's so good!  It's from Susan Branch's cookbook Heart of the Home (I wasn't able to find a copy online and so I had to scan it).   If you haven't checked out her cookbooks before, they're a real treat.  It's just fun to look at her illustrations and read her stories about the food.

I've been trying to do one meal a week with no meat.  I feel like we eat so heavy sometimes and it's nice once a week to have a meatless meal.  Good for our bodies and our budgets!


2 comments:

Tasha said...

I am so excited you posted it! I have been wanting to try it.

Carly said...

I am seriously going to make a monumental effort to do more meatless meals once we move to SLC (next week!!). As in only have main-dish meat 3-4 times a week (perhaps excluding things like bacon etc). We'll see if Jeremy goes for it!

I've already added this one to my list of ones to try :)

ps I have a pinterest board dedicated to meatless main dishes if you want more ideas! (http://pinterest.com/carlyjane35/meatless-meals/)